Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lesotho...How many Lesotho children can fit in the backseat of our car?*




October 12th, 2008

We woke up to the sound of roosters crowing, a donkey hee-hawing and the smell of a fire burning. It was five o’clock. We packed up the tent and brought out the camera. Asking if we could take photos, we were well received. Happily snapping away, we later showed them their photos. This was met with much amusement, pointing and laughing.

Saying our good-byes we wished each other well. A final hand shake with the chief and a kiss on the cheek later (me to him) we left. We drove all of 100m, when a group of school children wearing a royal blue school uniform, with a woolly v-necked jumper edged in gold, crisp white shirts underneath and assorted skirts and shorts, flagged us down asking for a lift. A group of two became a group of six, who piled in to our backseat. It was so full that I actually needed to get out to shut the backseat door.

It was an eventful trip, filled with laughter. The children spoke English quite well so we were able to introduce ourselves by name and age. Me being 28, made me very old. I was asked if I had a child, and when they learned I didn’t, it made me very strange indeed. They attempted to teach us different vocabulary, and my mispronunciation provided great enjoyment. The only word I remember now is hoo-hoo which I think is a chicken, but it might actually be an egg. 3 kms later we delivered the children to their school, a walk which normally takes them an hour and a half. I’m sure their teacher would be pleased with us, six excited children over an hour early for school.
**Answer six

No comments: