Thursday, February 12, 2009

Aquia Pesquiero




Parque Nacional do Limpopo
Mozambique
December 5th, 2008

Crossing from the Kruger National Park into the Limpopo National Park in Mozambique highlighted the vast difference between the richness of South Africa and the continuing development of its neighbours. Roads were made of rough gravel with huge speed bumps. Only 4x4’s need apply. Wildlife was sparse with our only sighting being a snake crossing the road.

Once we arrived at the camp, its beauty surprised us. The reception was stunningly decorated with arranged rocks and plants creating sidewalks and welcoming signs. The campground itself was situated above the Massingir Dam providing breath taking views. Out of season, or perhaps in season, we were the only campers present.

Camp was set up and I busied myself cleaning up and getting dinner ready. The abolitions were basic and tidy. I went a couple of times to a kitchen sink area to wash my hands and get water to boil. Karel later also went to the sinks area. When he came back he asked “Did you see the snake?” Alarmed I asked “what snake?” “The snake wrapped around the tap.” “What do you mean?” “Go take a look.” I did as suggested and my eyes nearly popped out of place as I noticed a small greyish snake coiled around the base of the very tap I turned twice. My hands were centimetres if that away from the snake when I used the tap. Thankfully the snake didn’t seem to mind. For the rest of our stay I watched very carefully for snakes and made sure I tread heavily on the ground to give snakes a warning I was coming.

No comments: