Thursday, February 12, 2009

Richard the Baker



Xia-Xia
December 6th, 2008

Our next stop was Xia-Xia (pronounced Shy Shy), a decent sized town near the coast conveniently located midway between the National Park camp and our recommended destination of Tofo. We found a decent campground, set up, and went for a swim by some rock pools. The next day as we were leaving we saw a man riding a bicycle cart selling bread. We pulled over and looked for some change. Karel told the baker that he had read about him, a baker who goes round the campgrounds and sells fresh bread. Introductions were made and we found out the baker’s name was Richard. Richard was dead excited that we had read about him and that he was as Karel termed it ‘famous’. Karel then asked Richard if he could take his photo. The baker was so excited. Yes of course we could take his photo. But not just a random casual photo, oh no, we were treated to a range of posed and narrated photos. “Here is me on my bike selling my bread. The bread is in here (pointing towards the cart). Here is me with the bread under my arm. Bread for sale. Bread for sale. Here is me opening my cart. How much bread, how much bread...” It was fantastic- the photos and the bread. So please if you are ever near Xia-Xia ask for Richard he’s famous!

No comments: